The Velveteen Rabbit, Or, How Toys Become Real

The Velveteen Rabbit, Or, How Toys Become Real - Margery Williams, Michael Green

I love this story, there are books that I read earlier and more often, there are books that are more nuanced and with better depth, but I love this book.

On helping my sister clear out some items for the dump and recycling center I found this book at the bottom of a box. I hadn't seen it in years or, honestly, much thought about it. I couldn't let it go. The cover on this edition is felted and the pages heavy vellum. Twenty years and much use has made it soft and a pleasure to hold. I remembered every illustration down to the cross-eyed nursery-magic fairy.

'The Velveteen Rabbit' is a sentimental story, but I don't feel that Margery Williams was self-indulgent or overbearing in her message. As an adult I enjoyed the references to the modern talk of the wind-up toys and the political pretensions of Timothy the jointed lion. The theme is a simple one that on some level we can all relate to, and I had a hard time controlling myself while tracing the Skin Horse's wisdom. It's beautifully done.