The Pilgrim Hawk by Glenway Wescott

The Pilgrim Hawk - Michael Cunningham, Glenway Wescott

I read this book on a whim and recommendation from 'Lost Classics: Writers on Books Loved and Lost', where Jeffrey Eugenides wrote beautifully about 'The Pilgrim Hawk' and Glenway Wescott.

There was something in the blurb about Wescott that struck a chord in me. I read 'The Pilgrim Hawk', looked up what I could about his life, and have been seeking out his other books ever since.

'The Pilgrim Hawk' is a slim novella that covers a single afternoon in France in the late twenties. I've always read it in almost a single sitting, but it is so artfully crafted, and so much can be read into the actions of the small 'cast' of characters, that one wonders how Wescott kept the book so short.

Reading this again now has only confirmed my memory of it, and my admiration of its author, a talented man who after 1945 for some reason never published fiction again, despite living another forty years.

I will not go into more of the plot, I simply recommend this book to any who are curious and have a quiet afternoon to spend.