The Dinner List by Rebecca Serle

The Dinner List - Rebecca Serle

Sabrina thinks she is celebrating her 30th birthday with a quiet dinner with her best friend and old roommate. She arrives to find four extra people around the table.

This was a book with a cute premise and a frothy surface, but there was more to the plot then I expected at first. Sabrina at the prodding of her roommate wrote down a list of the five people, alive or dead, that she'd want to have dinner with. Over the years, if subconsciously, she's revised the list and now has the chance to speak with them all together. The night will have plenty more surprises.

Her guest list: her best friend Jessica who Sabrina feels growing away from her now that they have such different lives; her ex boyfriend of many years; her father, who left her and her mother when young for a new family and is now deceased; her professor, a father-surrogate and fount of wisdom; and Audrey Hepburn, because, duh.

'The Dinner List' is a fun book to read, even the serious parts. It begs the reader to ask the question of themselves. My list:

My husband, because, duh.
Grandma, my father's mother,
The woman who lived in our house for almost 100 years before us,
Glenway Wescott,
Shirley Jackson

There are so many possibilities - I liked how Serle examined this question so closely, the reasoning behind Sabrina original choices and why substitutions were made. A good idea, well explored.