Halloween Bingo 2018 - Modern Masters of Horror

Slade House: A Novel - David Mitchell

'Slade House' by David Mitchell

I've been keeping my eye on this one for a long time, it had an intriguing premise, but I was not expecting what this book delivered. I thought this book would be a more traditional haunted house story mashed with the party game 'Sardines'. This was pretty cool, though.

Slade House is revealed through chronological point-of-views from various victims starting the the late 1970s and continuing to the present day. Every nine years the back garden door to Slade House appears in an alley and a new guest is lured in. The nature of the house, the 'magic' involved, the deconstructed fairy-tale elements, and the villains were great.

Mitchell does a good job of keeping his various character's voices distinct. With each perspective more of the history of the house is revealed, too. I learned in the afterword that 'Slade House' was originally released in a series of tweets, the pace of the story dictated by the author in a unique way.

The book suffers a little from repetition, but is genuinely creepy. You feel for these characters and it was hard for me to put the book down and return to the real world. Also

is there a sequel coming?! It works as is, but come ON.

(show spoiler)

I haven't read anything else from Mitchell, but I'd be willing to try them out.

I could have argued this into a few other categories, but I have some things in mind for those more specific boxes.