Paperback Crush by Gabrielle Moss

Paperback Crush: The Totally Radical History Of 80’s and 90’s Teen Fiction - Gabrielle Moss

This was pure, excessive delight from start to finish. Moss' "Totally Radical" history of 80s and 90s teen fiction skews towards the female and the romantic, but many of these books were ones that I read growing up.

Moss begins by describing her love of reading, and her eventual returning to Sweet Valley High, etc, in her adult life. She provides important background to the genres, poo-poos the idea that 'good' YA Literature started with John Green, and divides the bulk of the books she discusses into categories - dating, scares, mysteries, school, etc.

Another real benefit to having this book is the trove of cover art that it features. Cover art was better in the 80s and 90s, we all know it. Romance and limited SF & fantasy publishers are the only ones who still get how to market a fun book.

The only flaw I found was in the exclusion of boys' titles, though Moss does touch on Goosebumps and a few others. I hope a sequel or companion may be in the works.