Bunny by Mona Awad

Bunny - Mona Awad

Samantha has found graduate school to be a lonely and frustrating time. Her writing has hit a dead end and her only solace comes from her friend Ava, a caustic bohemian. Samantha's cohort is made up of four other women who call each other bunny and represent different literary and mean girl clichés. At the beginning of her last year Samantha receives an invitation from the Bunnies and finds herself drawn to them and their surprising creative process.

The book gets to the heart of college and post-grad loneliness that is often only subtext in other novels. I really enjoyed the writing at  the beginning, but the black comedy that started so strong loses momentum as it gets closer to the end. I was in tears laughing when I started the book, but the jokes kept hitting the same note and I found I couldn't understand what Samantha was going through, or even doing. This may have to do with some distractions in my own life while I was reading this, but the novel had a hard time sustaining itself.