War of the Twins, Dragonlance Legends #2 by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman

War of the Twins  - Tracy Hickman, Margaret Weis

A cliff-hanger ending is a sure way to make me pick up the next book in a series, if only to glance at the opening chapters and see what happens. The Cataclysm has happened, we are among the ruins.

Caramon, Crysania and Raistlin emerge in the Tower of High Sorcery in Palanthas but clearly at a time before its re-opening. Tasslehoff, meanwhile, has a very interesting new experience in a new place.

The set-up to this novel was a good one, the brothers and Crysania wind up marching with an army, trapped in Fistandantilus' footsteps, encouraging a civil war among the dwarves in order to get closer to a powerful artifact that will further Raistlin's dark plans. This trilogy spawned a few more prequel novels, but not as many as the 'Chronicles'.

The ultimate issue I had was that, because this was a reread, I knew what was happening and the action and the characters our primaries meet along the way were not enough of a distraction for me. There wasn't enough here to keep my interest this time around. We know how this is going to end and we know we're going to get another cliff-hanger. This is a good fantasy trilogy, but a reader is better off picking up one of the omnibus editions. That are, er, out of print....

Dragonlance Legends

Next: 'Test of the Twins'

Previous: 'Time of the Twins'